What the Struggling Church Needs to Know

When I went off for college, I had to look for a new church on my own. I went to lots of different churches and got to learn some things about what's important when deciding on a place to call home. Here are a few things that the churches struggling to get people in need to know...

The First Few Steps

The first few steps into the church are the most important moments in your decision. One of my favorite churches that I attended was one that had greeters outside, inside, and well... everywhere. This meant that there was no person who felt alone in their visit. These greeters showed love and compassion to all who entered. 
Second to this church was one where the pastor stood in the doorway before and after the service, making sure that he caught up on everything that was happening within the church. This worked because it was a smaller congregation. In larger churches, having greeters works really well. 

Getting Involved

Nothing is harder than for a new person at a church to get involved. I attended churches where it seemed as if only members were able to get involved, making it really hard to feel welcomed in the church. One of the best experiences was in a church that had "life groups" as well as lessons that happened outside of the service. Life groups were used to make sure that everyone in the church was involved. There was a group for everyone of all ages, and they allowed for like minded people to join in fellowship. I was also attending a church where the whole church did the Red Letter Challenge, and everyone was put into a group to help hold them accountable in their faith. To accommodate for everyone, some groups were over video chats, some text, and some in person. There was a way for everyone to be involved. 

Worship

For contemporary services, the worship music is part of my decision on attending the church. When I attend a church that is not playing newer music and seems to be caught up in older times, I am most likely not going to come back. A church that is playing newer music is not stuck in the past, but is looking for new ways to bring people to Christ. While new music might seem scary for some worship pastors, it is this very thing that brings in people. We all know the new music that is on the radio, and we are ready to sing along!

The Message

Nothing is harder than sitting through a sermon that is almost identical to my most recent theology class. I have been to a few churches that really stood out, but many churches that I attended that were not doing very well lacked passion from their pastor. If the pastor is the one who is sharing the word, I would hope that their is a joy and passion when sharing, because this directly influences what the church thinks. A pastor who talks about the love of our Father and cries tears of joy because we are free from sin when we are undeserving, will impact my life more than the pastor who does not express an overwhelming joy for the Lord. The passion of the pastor will be projected upon those in the church.